Current:Home > reviewsIndexbit Exchange:Donald Trump moves to halt hush money proceedings, sentencing after asking federal court to step in -Wealth Evolution Experts
Indexbit Exchange:Donald Trump moves to halt hush money proceedings, sentencing after asking federal court to step in
SignalHub Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-07 07:26:01
NEW YORK (AP) — Former President Donald Trump’s lawyers moved Friday to halt proceedings in his New York hush money criminal case and Indexbit Exchangepostpone next month’s sentencing indefinitely while he fights to have a federal court intervene and potentially overturn his felony conviction.
In a letter to the judge presiding over the case in state court, Trump’s lawyers asked that he hold off on a decision, slated for Sept. 16, on Trump’s request to overturn the verdict and dismiss the indictment in the wake of the U.S. Supreme Court’s recent presidential immunity ruling.
Trump’s lawyers also urged the trial judge, Juan M. Merchan, to postpone Trump’s Sept. 18 sentencing indefinitely while the U.S. District Court in Manhattan weighs their request late Thursday that it seize the case from the state court where it was tried.
Trump’s lawyers said delaying the proceedings is the “only appropriate course” as they seek to have the federal court rectify a verdict they say was tainted by violations of the Republican presidential nominee’s constitutional rights and the Supreme Court’s ruling that gives ex-presidents broad protections from prosecution.
If the case is moved to federal court, Trump’s lawyers said they will then seek to have the verdict overturned and the case dismissed on immunity grounds. They previously asked Merchan to delay Trump’s sentencing until after the November election. He hadn’t ruled on that request as of Friday.
“There is no good reason to sentence President Trump prior to November 5, 2024, if there is to be a sentencing at all, or to drive the post-trial proceedings forward on a needlessly accelerated timeline,” Trump’s lawyers Todd Blanche and Emil Bove wrote.
The letter, dated Thursday, was not added to the docket in Trump’s state court case until Friday.
Merchan did not immediately respond. The Manhattan district attorney’s office, which prosecuted Trump’s case, declined to comment. The office objected to Trump’s previous effort to move the case out of state court last year and has fought his attempt to get the case dismissed on immunity grounds.
Trump was convicted in May of 34 felony counts of falsifying business records to conceal a $130,000 hush money payment to porn actor Stormy Daniels, whose affair allegations threatened to disrupt his 2016 presidential run. Trump has denied her claim and said he did nothing wrong.
Falsifying business records is punishable by up to four years behind bars. Other potential sentences include probation or a fine.
The Supreme Court’s July 1 ruling reins in prosecutions of ex-presidents for official acts and restricts prosecutors in pointing to official acts as evidence that a president’s unofficial actions were illegal.
Trump’s lawyers have argued that prosecutors rushed to trial instead of waiting for the Supreme Court’s presidential immunity decision, and that prosecutors erred by showing jurors evidence that should not have been allowed under the ruling, such as former White House staffers describing how he reacted to news coverage of the hush money deal and tweets he sent while president in 2018.
Trump’s lawyers had previously invoked presidential immunity in a failed bid last year to get the hush money case moved from state court to federal court.
veryGood! (84)
Related
- Questlove charts 50 years of SNL musical hits (and misses)
- 2024 MTV VMAs: How Nicky Hilton’s Kids Fangirl Over Aunt Paris Hilton
- First and 10: Texas is roaring into SEC, while Oklahoma is limping. What's up with Oregon?
- Tyreek Hill: I could have 'been better' during police interaction before detainment
- 'As foretold in the prophecy': Elon Musk and internet react as Tesla stock hits $420 all
- Why Chappell Roan Told MTV VMAs Attendee to Shut the F--k Up
- Phoenix Suns call ex-employee's $60M demand for discrimination, wrongful termination 'ridiculous'
- Today Only! Old Navy Leggings & Biker Shorts Are Just $6 & Come in Tons of Colors, Stock Up Now
- A South Texas lawmaker’s 15
- The prison where the ‘In Cold Blood’ killers were executed will soon open for tours
Ranking
- The 401(k) millionaires club keeps growing. We'll tell you how to join.
- Taylor Swift endorsed Kamala Harris on Instagram. Caitlin Clark, Oprah and more approved.
- Kate Gosselin zip-tied son Collin and locked him in a basement, he claims
- Where is 'College GameDay' for Week 3? Location, what to know for ESPN show
- A South Texas lawmaker’s 15
- 'My son is not a monster': Mother of Georgia shooting suspect apologizes in letter
- A plan to extract gold from mining waste splits a Colorado town with a legacy of pollution
- Mom, brother, grandfather and caregivers are charged with starving 7-year-old disabled boy to death
Recommendation
Meta donates $1 million to Trump’s inauguration fund
Debate was an ‘eye opener’ in suburban Philadelphia and Harris got a closer look
'My son is not a monster': Mother of Georgia shooting suspect apologizes in letter
DWTS Alum Lindsay Arnold Speaks Out on Secret Lives of Mormon Wives as a Mormon Herself
Newly elected West Virginia lawmaker arrested and accused of making terroristic threats
Déjà vu: Blue Jays' Bowden Francis unable to finish no-hitter vs. Mets
Remains found in car in Illinois river identified as 2 men who vanished in 1976, coroner says
Volkswagen is recalling close to 99K electric vehicles due to faulty door handles